CMS Leadership Skills Series
Saturday, April 21, 2018
8:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Colorado Medical Society Offices
7351 E. Lowry Blvd., Denver, CO 80230
Is turnover killing your practice?: Keep good help, lead your team and improve performance through engagement and stay interviews
by Alexis Avery, PhD, and Kathy Kennedy, DrPH
Health care requires high-performance teamwork and building and sustaining your practice team is essential to good patient care and the viability of your practice. Whether it is managing yourself or managing your team, understanding what works best to help get the job done proactively rather than reactively can be a lynchpin of your leadership.
This CME workshop -- free for CMS members -- focuses on practical strategies focused on physician engagement and best practices like “stay interviews” to help prevent turnover and drive optimal performance.
By the end of this workshop, the participant should be able to:
- Differentiate best practices in "stay" interviews, i.e., brief, regular, check-in meetings designed to stay in touch with the match between the worker's needs and the organization's fulfillment of them.
- Craft a "stay interview" strategy for their organization or unit.
- Choose "stay interview" questions with which they are comfortable.
- Summarize essential elements of a person's engagement with their work, i.e., what makes them give discretionary effort, lose track of time, and go above and beyond the requirements of the job.
- Articulate two levels of physician engagement.
- Identify an engagement goal and start an action plan.
ACCME Accreditation Statement
The Colorado Medical Society is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement
The Colorado Medical Society designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.