Resources for Physician Practices
The AMA and the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services have completed a major overhaul of evaluation and management (E/M) office visit documentation and coding. These landmark changes to E/M office visit coding went into effect on January 1, 2021. This page includes links to AMA resources as well as specialty-specific resources to help you as you implement these changes in your practice.
The revisions to the E/M office visit CPT® codes (99201-99215) code descriptors and documentation standards directly address the continuing problem of administrative burden for physicians in nearly every specialty.
With these changes, documentation for E/M office visits will now be centered around how physicians think and take care of patients and not on mandatory standards that encouraged copy/paste and checking boxes. Key revisions include:
- Elimination of history and physical as elements for code selection.
- Allow physicians to choose whether their documentation is based on Medical Decision Making (MDM) or Total Time.
- Modifications to the criteria for MDM.
- Deletion of CPT code 99201.
- Creation of a shorter prolonged services code.
- CPT® (Current Procedural Terminology)
- CPT® Evaluation and Management: A historical overview and summary of the E/M coding revision for office visits.
- Implementing CPT® Evaluation and Management (E/M) revisions: Step-by-step videos on using MDM criteria or total time to select a code.
Educational ModulesOffice Evaluation and Management (E/M) CPT Code Revisions: Provides an overview of the new E/M code revisions and shows how it will differ from current coding requirements and terminology.Revisions to the CPT E/M Office Visits: New Ways to Report Using Time: Provides detailed information on how the new E/M coding revisions for office visits have clarified and simplified the time component of code selection.Revisions to the CPT E/M Office Visits: New Ways to Report Using Medical Decision Making (MDM): Offers more detailed information on how the new E/M coding revisions for office visits have increased clarity around definitions and criteria for code-level selection based on good patient care.
- Table illustrating the MDM revisions.
- 10-step checklist to prepare your practice for E/M office visit changes.
- Detailed PDF with the E/M code and guideline changes.
- Commercial health plans and E/M codes: Are commercial health plans required to adopt revisions to the E/M codes?
- Dec. 3, 2020: Will commercial payers, EHR vendors adopt revised E/M office-visit codes?
- Nov. 6, 2020: How 2021 E/M coding changes will reshape the physician note
- Aug. 5, 2020: E/M office-visit changes on track for 2021: What doctors must know
- Feb. 13, 2020: How 2021 E/M guidelines could ease physicians’ documentation burdens
- Nov. 19, 2019: E/M prep: Avoid these pitfalls in move to new office-visit codes
- Nov. 5, 2019: E/M prep: Your in-house practice checklist for 2021 transition
- Addiction Medicine: Resources from ASAM
- Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology: Resources from AAAAI
- Anesthesiology: Article from ASA (Dec. 10, 2020)
- Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine: Article from ASRA (Dec. 7, 2020)
- Cardiology: Article from ACC (Dec. 23, 2020)
- Dermatology: Resources from AAD
- Emergency Medicine: Article from ACEP (Jan. 7, 2021)
- Endocrinology: Resources from Endocrine Society
- Family Medicine: Resources from AAFP
- Gastroenterology: Resources from AGA
- Internal Medicine: Resources from ACP
- Neurology: Resources from AAN
- Neurosurgery: Resources from CNS
- OB/GYN: Resources from ACOG
- Oncology: Article from ASCO (Oct. 13, 2020)
- ASCO Guide to 2021 Evaluation & Management Changes (October 2020)
- Ophthalmology: Resources from AAO
- Orthopaedic Surgery: Article from AAOS (Sep. 1, 2020)
- Otolaryngology: Article (Nov. 2020) and Resources from AAO-HNS
- Pediatrics: Resources from AAP
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Resources from AAPM&R
- Psychiatry: Resources from APA
- Rheumatology: Article from ACR (Dec. 8, 2020)
- Surgery: Resources from ACS
- Urology: Resources from AUA