The Colorado Medical Society seeks physicians and medical students of all walks of life, perspectives, backgrounds, practice settings, career stage and geographic location to volunteer to join a CMS committee. All committees have open positions starting in the fall, and all meetings will have a virtual option. Terms for most committees are three years, and members can serve a maximum of two consecutive terms, with exceptions. You belong here; we urge you to find your place in CMS, and let us know where you are willing to apply your expertise.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that meets monthly with optional subcommittee work between meetings
Committee on Physician Wellbeing - meets 8-9 times per year for 1-2 hours per meeting; will work on launching a peer coaching or counseling program in 2023
Substance Use Disorder Committee - meets as needed (1-2 times per year)
Committee on Professional Education and Accreditation - meets as needed but typically requires a time commitment of approximately 35-40+ hours per year
Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Committee - meets monthly for 1-2 hours per meeting
Committee on Value in Health Care - meets monthly for 1-2 hours per meeting
Scope of Practice Committee (subcommittee of the Council on Legislation that makes recommendations to COL) - meets 3-5 times per year, as needed, for 1-2 hours per meeting
Partners in Medicine Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that meets 3-4 times per year; reviews partner/sponsor program and makes recommendations
Patient Resource Advisory Commitee - committee formed in January 2022 that advises staff on resources for patients to publicise to CMS members; email correspondence only with meetings as needed
Bylaws Committee - meets as needed when given a task by the CMS Board of Directors (once or less per year)
Finance Committee - meets quarterly before meetings of the CMS Board of Directors with some interim meetings as needed
Nominating Committee - meets 2-3 times per year to review candidates for CMS leadership
Employed Physicians Section Governing Council - up to seven positions available: Chair (also the representative on the CMS Board of Directors), vice-chair and five at-large members; must be an employed physician
Independent Physicians Section Governing Council - up to seven positions available: Chair (also the representative on the CMS Board of Directors), vice-chair and five at-large members; must be an independent-practice physician
Council on Legislation - very active during legislative session (January-May): meets 1-2 times per month during session plus interim votes through email or Basecamp. Positions by appointment geographically or by specialty. Contact email@example.com if interested in serving on COL.
COMPAC Board of Directors (board for the CMS political action committee) - meets 4-6 times per year with interim votes through email or Basecamp. Positions are elected and positions are open in many regions. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in serving on the COMPAC Board.
Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs - meets as needed when given a task by the CMS Board of Directors; positions are appointed by component societies. Contact email@example.com if interested in serving on CEJA.
CMS Education Foundation Board of Directors (board for foundation giving medical student scholarships) - meets 2-3 times per year and corresponds via email. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if interested in serving on the CMS Education Foundation board.
Procedure for committee appointments
- CMS member emails email@example.com your name, the committee name, and a brief statement of interest about why you would like to join the group.
- Please feel free to indicate more than one committee or council in case there are more volunteers than open positions. In the case of few or no open positions on your desired committee or council, you will be placed on an interest list and notified of openings in the future. We also have many other ways to be involved.
- CMS President-elect, staff and other leaders review all interested volunteers and recommend a slate of committee appointments to the CMS Board of Directors at the September meeting. Per the recommendation of CMS Task Force on Committee Evaluation and affirmed by the Board: Effort should be made to ensure diversity of committee members, including gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion, practice type, practice specialty and geography. Appointments can also be made throughout the year and all committee meetings are open to all members to attend (audit) as a non-voting member.
- The Board of Directors approves or modifies the slate of appointments.
- Terms begin immediately following the September Board of Directors meeting.
Expectations of committee members
Committee members must have a clear view of the committee’s goals and have an awareness of the skills brought by each committee member to assist in the achievement of these goals.
CMS seeks volunteers who will be actively involved in committee work. Per policy passed by the CMS Board of Directors in September 2020, a committee member may be removed from that committee if they fail to meet minimum attendance standards (two consecutive meetings missed, or 20% of meetings missed in an association calendar year), or if their behavior is determined to be in violation of the CMS Code of Conduct.
Not ready to join a committee?
Explore other options to be involved here.