The Colorado Medical Society seeks physicians of all walks of life, perspectives, backgrounds, practice settings, career stage and geographic location to volunteer to join a CMS committee. All committees have open positions starting in fall 2021, and all meetings will have a virtual option. Terms for most committees are three years, and members can serve a maximum of two consecutive terms, with exceptions. You belong here; we urge you to find your place in CMS, and let us know where you are willing to apply your expertise.
Bylaws Committee -- meets as needed (once or less per year)
Strategic Planning Committee -- meets as needed (once or less per year)
Committee on Physician Wellbeing -- meets 8-9 times per year for 1-2 hours per meeting
Special Committee on Prescription Drug Abuse -- meets as needed (1-2 times per year)
Committee on Professional Education and Accreditation -- meets as needed but typically requires a time commitment of approximately 35-40+ hours per year
Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury Committee -- meets monthly for 1-2 hours per meeting
Committee on Value in Health Care -- meets monthly for 1-2 hours per meeting
Scope of Practice Committee (subcommittee of the Council on Legislation that makes recommendations to COL) -- meets 3-5 times per year, as needed, for 1-2 hours per meeting
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that wil meet 6-12 times per year
Partners in Medicine Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that wil meet 3-4 times in 2022
Patient Resource Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that wil meet 3-4 times in 2022
Employed Physicians Section Steering Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that wil meet 3-4 times in 2022 to chart the bylaws and structure of the new Employed Physicians Section
Independent Physicians Section Steering Committee - committee formed in January 2022 that wil meet 3-4 times in 2022 to chart the bylaws and structure of the new Independent Physicians Section
Procedure for committee appointments
- CMS member emails firstname.lastname@example.org your name, the committee name, and a brief statement of interest about why you would like to join the group.
- Please feel free to indicate more than one committee or council in the case that there are more volunteers than open positions. In the case of few or no open positions on your desired committee or council, you will be placed on an interest list and notified of openings in the future. We also have many other ways to be involved.
- CMS President-elect, staff and other leaders review all interested volunteers and recommend a slate of committee appointments to the CMS Board of Directors at the September meeting. Per the recommendation of CMS Task Force on Committee Evaluation and affirmed by the Board: Effort should be made to ensure diversity of committee members, including gender, age, sexual orientation, race, religion, practice type, practice specialty and geography.
- The Board of Directors approves or modifies the slate of appointments.
- Terms begin immediately following the September Board of Directors meeting.
Expectations of committee members
Committee members must have a clear view of the committee’s goals and have an awareness of the skills brought by each committee member to assist in the achievement of these goals.
CMS seeks volunteers who will be actively involved in committee work. Per policy passed by the CMS Board of Directors in September 2020, a committee member may be removed from that committee if they fail to meet minimum attendance standards (two consecutive meetings missed, or 20% of meetings missed in an association calendar year), or if their behavior is determined to be in violation of the CMS Code of Conduct.
Not ready to join a committee?
Explore other options to be involved here.