The Interagency Pain Task Force released new recommendations for health care providers that the AMA says balance the need to effectively manage patients’ pain while also advancing policies to end the epidemic of opioid-related deaths.
Top-lines of the recommendations are:
- Bolstering support for multidisciplinary, multimodal approaches to treating patients with acute and chronic pain;
- Reversing harmful policies such as arbitrary limits on prescribed pain medications;
- Providing individualized treatment that accounts for co-morbidities and severity;
- Encouraging better health insurance coverage of affordable, evidence-based non-opioid medications and non-pharmacologic treatments for pain and eliminating obstacles to treatment such as fail-first policies; and
- Recognizing the urgent need to address stigma as a barrier to care.